I had some cheap and nasty vodka left over from making the amazing vodka jellies for RoseyfestandDougwood, and as far as I am concerned the best thing to do with cheap and nasty vodka is to stuff it full of fruit and sugar! You need:
- Equal parts vodka, water and sugar
- Approx 3 lemons per 500ml/pint of vodka
The method is easy:
- Peel the zest from the lemons. Try to avoid getting too much of the white pith - that will make the Limoncello bitter. Obviously, don’t waste the lemon juice! Use it for lemonade, or cooking or something.
- Cover the zest in vodka, and leave for at least a week. Shake it every so often.
- After the Vodka has become lemon-tastic, strain out the zest. Make a simple syrup with the water and sugar and add to the Vodka. Bottle. Try and keep for another week. Try is the important word here - this stuff is lovely!
- Store in the freezer, and serve ice cold!